Archive for June 2017 | Monthly archive page

Iranian state media quoted Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei as saying Islamic State leader Abu Bakrh Al-Baghdadi was “definitely dead”. A representative of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards backed up the statement, but Ali Shirazi did not wish to elaborate on the claim. Last June 17 Syrian and Russian Government claimed that Al-Baghaddi was dead but they have no hard evidence. According to the officials, Daesh leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, was eliminated by the airstrike. The airstrike targeted a meeting of Daesh leaders and that occurred, Senior leaders of the Daesh terrorist group were meeting at the time of the May 28 strike. Rumors have continued to mount that he was killed in a variety of U.S. led actions, but little evidence has appeared to support those claims. it would be a massive disaster to Isis with the loss of their leader Al-Baghaddi, with the group now all but driven out of Iraq and clinging on to its territory in Syria. It is likely, Russian and Western military officials believed that they killed the leader. Assaults on Raqqa have been launched by troops of the Assad regime, backed by Russian air strikes and Iranian and Lebanese Hezbollah forces on the ground; a Kurdish and Arab force with US and British special forces and backed by American warplanes; and an Arab and Turkman contingent supported by the Turks. He joined al-Qaeda in Iraq after his release and later became the head of Isis.His radicalisation took place while being held at the American detention centre, Camp Bucca, in Iraq. Baghdadi, it is believed, was born Ibrahim Awad Ibrahim al-Badri in Samarra, Iraq, in 1971.

Venezuelan Supreme Court was attacked by a stolen Police helicopter. According to the officialsThe helicopter was allegedly piloted by Oscar Perez, an officer in the Venezuelan investigative police force. As it strafed the court building and the Interior Ministry in Caracas on Tuesday June 27, 2017. Attackers fired gunshots and lobbed grenades. Venezuela asked Interpol to issue a red notice for Perez, according to an official in Venezuela. A red notice alerts authorities in other countries, including border officials, that someone is wanted. The helicopter was found in the seaside state of Vargas, Venezuelan state news agency. It was found by the Venezuelan Air Force in a heavily-wooded area near the municipality of Osma, some 80 kilometers 50 miles northeast of Caracas. It was unclear how a rogue police helicopter could have circled high-profile buildings in the Venezuelan capital without being shot down. Witnesses and locals said that the assault went on for about two hours. No one was killed during the attack officials said.  Before the attack happen, a man who identified himself as Perez appeared in a video online. He said that an operation was underway to seize democracy back from Venezuela’s “criminal government.” Flanked by a group of armed men in military fatigues and balaclavas, He claimed to be speaking on behalf of a coalition of military, police officers and civil officials. In the video message, Perez said he was a pilot in the special response unit of Venezuela’s Criminal Investigative Police and demanded that Maduro step down. Officials said that Perez was still on the run and the police was undergoing a manhunt for Perez. Opposition lawmakers said they had been prevented by guardsmen from leaving the building for over four hours. Last tuesday night June 27,2017, the Venezuelan Supreme Court issued a decision that grants Venezuelan Ombudsman Tarek Williams Saab a Maduro loyalist powers to investigate, defend and oversee human rights complaints. The decision follows disagreement between the offices of the Ombudsman and the Attorney General as to who is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of human rights abuses.

 

Capt Megan Couto led about 40 Canadian soldiers through the changing of the guard ceremony at the palace on Monday morning, watched by the usual throng of tourists who saw history being made. Couto’s Canadian unit, the Second Battalion of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry known as the Patricia’s has been invited to the UK to mark Canada’s 150th anniversary this year. The role of mounting the Queen’s Guard usually falls to the British army’s household division, which is largely made up of male troops. Women have participated,

but never before has the sovereign’s guard been led by a female infantry officer. The British Armed Forces don’t allow women to accede to some frontline roles due to “previous concerns” over “muscular injury, psychological health, and impaired reproductive health,” said Susan Coulthard, a spokesperson for the British Ministry of Defence. Infantry roles will be accessible to female troops by the end of 2018, she added.  Canada’s military has allowed women to serve in nearly all roles since 1989. Canadian soldiers are serving as the Queen’s Guard on select dates until July 3, keeping watch as sentries at Buckingham Palace, St. James’s Palace, the Tower of London and Windsor Castle. The Queen had invited Canada to send troops to assume the ceremonial duties in 2017 a way of marking 150 years since Confederation. Couto is second in command in the Patricia’s to Maj Jay Hudson but, having commanded the guard last week, he has stepped aside to allow her the chance to lead in the ceremonial role. The UK government is opening up combat roles to women over a phased three-year term. Since November last year, some units of the Royal Armoured Corps have been open to women. The Queen’s foot guards will be open to women by the end of next year.

Syrian state television has reported the leader of Islamic State Abu Bakr al-Baghadi has been killed in an air strike.  Syria suggest the leader of ISIS Abu Bkr al-Baghdadi was killed in an air strike on Saturday June 10, 2017.Claims suggest the world’s most wanted terrorist was blasted with heavy artillery while in the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa. News of his ‘death’ emerged on local outlets as Iraqi forces claim his deputy, Ayad al-Jumaili, was killed in an air strike near Iraq’s border with Syria. Heavy artillery was dropped across the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa throughout the day, with footage online posted by ISIS news agency Amaq revealing the devastation caused. The Islamic State leader has a £20million bounty on his head because his hate-filled sermons inspired suicide attacks across Europe. There have been previous reports of al-Baghdadi’s death, which turned out to be untrue. The revelation has emerged as Iraqi forces claimed al-Baghdadi’s deputy, Ayad al-Jumaili, was killed in an air strike near Iraq’s border with Syria. Recent evidence unearthed for a documentary shows Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi escaped capture in Iraq by just minutes back in 2013, before unleashing his army of jihadis on the world.

According to the reports Gulf state’s royal family who were kidnapped in Iraq while on a hunting trip is one of the triggers behind Gulf states’ dramatic decision to cut ties with Doha. US$1 billion (S$1.4 billion) were paid to Iranian and al-Qaeda-linked forces in Syria to release the members of the Gulf state’s royal family. The kingdom cut their ties because Qatar embraces multiple terrorists and sectarian groups aimed that causes the chaotic situation at the region, including the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS (Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) and Al-Qaeda, and promotes the message and schemes of these groups through their media constantly. The ransom deal which was concluded in April, heightened concerns among Qatar’s neighbors about the small gas-rich state’s role in a region plagued by conflict and bitter rivalries. Qatar paid out the ransom to secure the release of 26 members of a falconry party. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain took the extraordinary step of cutting off diplomatic ties and transport links to Qatar, alleging the country fuels extremism and terrorism. Critics accuse it of seeking to punch above its weight diplomatically, meddling in regional affairs and using the Arabic channel of Al Jazeera, the satellite television network it set up, as a propaganda tool. The crisis could have cause consequences for the citizens across the Middle East.

It seems the gadgets, which employ ball bearings and balanced blades inside the plastic casing to spin, have been found in some cases to contain dangerous amounts of lead and mercury. Just last week, 200,000 units of the popular toy were seized by EU customs officials for failing to adhere to the health standards set by the Union. Officials tested six more fidget spinners and found a $31 from China that contained 42,800 ppm of lead. Officials noted ordinary consumers won’t have access to an XRF instrument, which can cost around $50,000. This sort of problem isn’t as obsolete as we’d like to imagine; in 2015, CNN reported on the discovery of asbestos in crayons and other toys imported from China. Officials consider under 90 ppm of lead to be the safe threshold in children’s toys, according to Rubin. But the paint on the LED light spinner contained 334 ppm of lead and 155 ppm of mercury in one test. The unpainted metal base contained 1,562 ppm of mercury and 2,452 ppm of lead. In addition to complaints that some are poorly made and break easily, it was recently reported that a 10-year-old girl in the US needed surgery after she swallowed a part of a spinner and it became lodged in her esophagus. There are concerns over inferior products hitting the market with a surge in demand for the latest must-have toy in recent months. There are concerns they pose a choking hazard with their small parts.

Several Arab countries cut their ties with Qatar Qatar were accused that they were supporting terrorism. Due to the acquisitions, Qatar was also expelled from the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen. They accused Qatar of supporting what it described as Iranian-backed militants in its restive and largely Shi’ite Muslim-populated Eastern region of Qatif and in Bahrain. Gulf Arab states and Egypt have already long resented Qatar’s support for Islamists, especially the Muslim Brotherhood which they regard as a dangerous political enemy. The coordinated move, with Yemen and Libya’s eastern-based government joining in later, created a dramatic rift among the Arab nations, many of which are in OPEC. In a statement on state news agency SPA, oil giant Saudi Arabia accused Qatar of backing militant groups and spreading their violent ideology, in an apparent reference to Qatar’s influential state-owned satellite channel al-Jazeera. Qatar embraces multiple terrorist and sectarian groups aimed at disturbing stability in the region, including the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS and al-Qaeda, and promotes the message and schemes of these groups through their media constantly. There was no immediate Qatari reaction to the announcements, and Qatari officials could not be reached for comment, but it has denied supporting terrorism or Iran in the past.

A heavily armed walked into the doors of the Resorts World Manila a casino in the PH. The hotel was attacked by the suspected foreigner at Friday June 2, 2017. The man set fire to the gambling machines which resulted to the death of the 35 people, including the staff and guests. The victims were killed by suffocation,  they were trapped at the hotel. 35 victims, 13 were employees of the casino and 22 were guests. Police have still yet to identify the bodies of six people, including two employees and four guests. The injured survivors testified to the terror inside the casino, many were hurt breaking windows and jumping from the second floor to escape the fire and smoke. The bodies of the victims were found on the second floor of the building, spread across the casino area, the hallways and a bathroom, police said. According to the authorities the purpose of the attack was not terrorism it was robbery. The robber got 100 million pesos worth of chips. He was found dead at his room by the authorities, he was burned and covered with a blanket.

Fire at Resort World Manila

Gunman in Resort Worl Manila

 

 

GSW takes the first win against the CAVS for their battle for the championship game. Led by stars Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant, the Warriors defeated the visitors in a win that will be difficult for CAVS stars to overcome. Kevin Durant scored 38 points and Stephen Curry added 28 as the Golden State Warriors defeated defending champion Cleveland 113-91 in Thursday’s NBA Finals first game. Kyrie Irving added 24 points for Cleveland while Levin Love had 15 points and 21 rebounds for the Cavs, who out bounded the Warriors 59-50. Draymond Green led Golden State with 11 rebounds. James had 19 points and 11 rebounds in the first half, the first time in his career he managed a playoff double-double before halftime. Curry’s surge to open the second half pulled the Warriors away to stay. After another 3-pointer later in the third, Curry turned from the basket and kicked his feet into the air, celebrating his ability to seemingly score at will against the struggling Cavaliers. Late in the fourth quarter, a steal from James by Ian Clark set up a no-look pass from Curry to Durant, who sank a 3-pointer and shook his head in awe of his hot hand.

11 soldiers were killed and 7 injured during an airstrike on Marawi, on Southern Island of Mindanao.  PH Armed Forces were fighting ISIS linked group called the MAUTE group. The group objective was to control the Marawi City with 70,000 residents. According to the reports last Wednesday two jets were conducting an airstrike when one struck members of the 55th Infantry Battalion. The government forces need to eliminate Maute snipers, in order to do that they need to conduct airstrike. Martial law has been declared for the entire island of Mindanao, where fighting is ongoing. Earlier this week, officials said government forces were in near complete control of Marawi, but rooting out the last pockets of resistance seems to be taking longer than first expected. According to the reports, it was Thursday that 100 militants had been killed since the fighting broke out on May 23. As of Wednesday, 19 civilians and 21 security forces had died, according to state media. And reports said that some of those fighters are boys as young as 16 or 14. Refugees from Marawi have spoken of seeing child soldiers, and previous ISIS propaganda about the region showed children and young teenagers wearing black bandanas and taking part in training exercises.