It seems the gadgets, which employ ball bearings and balanced blades inside the plastic casing to spin, have been found in some cases to contain dangerous amounts of lead and mercury. Just last week, 200,000 units of the popular toy were seized by EU customs officials for failing to adhere to the health standards set by the Union. Officials tested six more fidget spinners and found a $31 from China that contained 42,800 ppm of lead. Officials noted ordinary consumers won’t have access to an XRF instrument, which can cost around $50,000. This sort of problem isn’t as obsolete as we’d like to imagine; in 2015, CNN reported on the discovery of asbestos in crayons and other toys imported from China. Officials consider under 90 ppm of lead to be the safe threshold in children’s toys, according to Rubin. But the paint on the LED light spinner contained 334 ppm of lead and 155 ppm of mercury in one test. The unpainted metal base contained 1,562 ppm of mercury and 2,452 ppm of lead. In addition to complaints that some are poorly made and break easily, it was recently reported that a 10-year-old girl in the US needed surgery after she swallowed a part of a spinner and it became lodged in her esophagus. There are concerns over inferior products hitting the market with a surge in demand for the latest must-have toy in recent months. There are concerns they pose a choking hazard with their small parts.