2 Police officers was killed last Friday by armed gunmen with improvised weapons. The suspects opened fire near the holiest site in Jerusalem, then fled back to the Temple Mount plaza outside the Al Aqsa Mosque and engaged in a rare shootout with police. The attack took place a little after 7 a.m. local time by the Lions’ Gate in the Old City walls, next to what Muslims call the Noble Sanctuary and Jews the Temple Mount.  According to reports attackers were from the Israeli Arab city of Um El Fahm and were Israeli citizens. The killed officers were identified as Hail Stawi, 30, of Majar and Kaamil Snaan, 22, of Horfis. The fighting inside the complex was one of the worst incidents of violence on the Temple Mount in years, and the images of the gun battle and fatalities are liable to raise tensions throughout the region. Israeli security forces set up barricades to prevent entry to the Temple Mount and stopped several senior Muslim figures, including the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Muhammad Hussein, from entering the complex. The Temple Mount complex was cleared of visitors and all of its entry gates were closed to allow security forces to search the site for additional weapons. The prime minister and the leadership of the defense establishment decided to keep the Temple Mount complex closed for the day, search the area to ensure there are no other weapons hidden there, and maintain the status quo. The Jerusalem Police district commander announced Friday prayers will not be held on the Temple Mount. Police detained for questioning guards of the Islamic Waqf, the Jordanian body in charge of the Temple Mount, who were at the complex during the attack. When asked how weapons were smuggled onto the Temple Mount, the police chief explained that “throughout the years, every Friday, tens of thousands of worshipers enter (the complex). They don’t go through a security check when they enter as is usually done at secure sites. According to the official the attack was a natural response to the Israeli terrorism and the dirtying of the al-Aqsa Mosque. The attack shows the intifada continues and that our people are united behind the resistance